Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Make Love Not War


The Creelman server stood still and watched my 6$ Belgium waffle burn to a crisp as bagpipes played over a loudspeaker and everyone in the room hung their heads low in solemn silence. I rolled my eyes repeatedly after seeing smoke steam out of the waffle grill. I know it’s a touchy subject – and I have been torn on the subject for a while – but war commemoration is so stupid to me. So stupid that people a hundred years later are willing to let perfectly good waffles burn!

I'm all for mourning and respecting the dead, but why hold a fallen soldier any higher than a peaceful protester who died from natural causes? A lot of these boys who signed up to fight took war as a game, seeing it as a rite of passage. The World Wars were not fought for noble causes. German greed and French resentment turned lives into pawn pieces in WWI. And don't fool yourself if into thinking WWII was fought to save the Jews -- it was actually a matter of appeasement gone too far. I don’t think I can support the troops, dead or alive, during such dangerous times. Perhaps reconsider what your poppy is representing.

No comments: